Monday, February 18, 2013

The Answer to Someone's Prayer?

I've been to NYC 6 or 7 times to serve on The Relief Bus. Logistically, things are pretty static from one trip to another. We book flights, get out there, get to where we're staying, show up and follow along, hopefully meeting Jesus in those we serve. We have a training guide to go through that teaches us what we should and shouldn't do in street outreach. But this time, something is different.

A couple years back, we started being commissioned by an elder at Grace. In Acts 13, Barnabas and Saul were sent off "for the work to which I (God) have called them." Instead of them just up and leaving, Acts 13:3 states, "So after they (prophets and teachers) had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off." We have seen a profound impact on the trips preceded by commissioning.

During our commissioning, Chris Johnson spoke of us being the answer to someone's prayer on the streets. Whoa! That rocked me. I am the answer to someone's prayer? That puts this trip in a different perspective. I am no longer someone simply coming out from central Indiana to help out; I am being sent by Christ himself to fulfill a cry out from a hurting soul to Him. This knowledge takes this from a chance encounter to a divine appointment. I've said God puts these mission trip teams together, and this pretty much solidifies it.

I am so dreading being away from my wife and kids, but so excited about seeing what Christ has in store for us. I pray each of us can leave our fears and anxieties at the foot of the Cross and be open and vulnerable to what's ahead.

2 comments:

  1. You are also an answer to my prayer. I love you and hope you have an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I feel the same way. I was blown away by that thought and have pondered it over and over. Thanks for sharing with everyone. I'm excited to serve alongside you again...and watch how someone's prayer materializes.

    ReplyDelete